Monday, November 2, 2020

It's Alive!

Continuing from the last post, what might it look like to have supernatural life during this life time?

In John 10:10b, Jesus says, "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." What might that look like for us here on earth? Sadly, in my experience, it seems hard to find good examples of this in this life. That may be my own perspective, since I have a personality that naturally (in my fallen nature) tends to be like Eeyore. But sometimes, I'm surprised, when people tell me I'm an extrovert with a generally happy outlook. I assure you this is the change that God wrought in me. And I wouldn't want to tout myself as an example of someone who ordinarily displays that life in abundance, that supernatural life. And it seems that I'm not alone in this perspective of finding so few examples. My brother-in-law once remarked to me, "Why should I go to church? Everybody in the pews aren't any better than those who don't bother to go." His remark can be taken in two ways. The first sense is the one I first took when hearing it: many Christians have refused to allow Christ to transform them into something new. They go, not to be changed, but because they think that by their attendance they get their ticket punched to avoid Hell and wind up in Heaven. The second one is a more positive view. We're all very wounded people, and this Catholics acknowledge before receiving the Lord in Holy Communion, "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof." We're there to be healed, and so it should be no surprise that there are spiritually sick people in a hospital for souls.

Perhaps I should turn to Scripture for examples. The first example is of Mary (of course! I wouldn't have it any other way 😃). After the archangel Gabriel tells Mary she will bear Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit, and she assents, the angel tells her that her elderly kinswoman Elizabeth is also with child.

Luke 1:39 In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a city of Judah, 40 and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. 41 And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit 42 and she exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 For behold, when the voice of your greeting came to my ears, the babe in my womb leaped for joy.”

While pregnant herself, Mary goes "with haste" to help her cousin Elizabeth who may have a difficult pregnancy because she is so old. It is a corporal act of mercy. And not only this, but Elizabeth (and baby John in her womb) recognize Jesus in Mary. Yes, Mary is full of grace, but at least we should ourselves strive for the ideal that others might see Jesus in us. And finally, joy is present. As Christians, we should always rejoice ("Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thes 5:16-18).

Another example is on Pentecost when the Holy Spirit descends on the disciples of Jesus, and there is such a commotion that Peter needs to assure the crowds which have gathered to investigate that, no, they are not drunk (c.f. Acts 2:15). Because it is the Holy Spirit that animates them so (and so it should animate us). Later, after three thousand people joined the disciples that day, Scripture describes the early Christian community: "And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts" (Acts 2:46).

And we can look toward the saints as examples. Because I'm told he was always smiling, I've chosen Pier Giorgio Frassatti as an example (somehow, that seems attractive to this ol' Eeyore). Pope Saint John Paul II called him the "Man of the Eight Beatitudes."

And since this is All Souls Day, I'll ask that you do an easy act of mercy and charity and pray for the souls in purgatory, that they may quickly see God face to face and experience the joy of Heaven. Did that put a smile on your face? I hope it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment